Music Elective Programme
The Music Elective Programme
The Music Elective Programme (MEP) is an MOE special programme that allows students with passion in Music to study the subject in an enriched environment.
- MEP students in Catholic High School enjoy the opportunity to study Music at a deeper level in an enhanced curriculum for Music in custom-built MEP Studios.
- Students will be prepared to sit the GCE O-Level Higher Music Examination in their Secondary/Year 4 year, at which their musical knowledge and skills will be assessed via the activities of listening and analysis, performing, and music writing.
- The MEP can also be offered in JC1 and JC2 in JCs such as Eunoia Junior College.
- Outstanding CHS Level 1 MEP students enrolled in 2022 may be awarded CHS’ Joseph Wallace Family Music Scholarship. This is a non-renewable 1-year scholarship, i.e. the outstanding MEP student from each level will stand a chance of being awarded this scholarship.
Students in the Catholic High School MEP undergo lessons in Music Studies to learn about various genres of Music from around the world, as well as Music History. Students develop critical thinking skills through the analysis of music and gain informed perspectives as they seek to understand the different musical contexts through various historical and cultural periods.
MEP students also engage in Music Making activities of composing and performing on one or more instruments. Opportunities are given for the students to go beyond performing solo, as they enjoy the chance to perform with other students in the MEP. Students also learn to express their ideas through music – by composing their own songs or music. Through the experience of writing their own music, MEP students gain a much deeper understanding of the composing process.
Beyond classroom activities, other learning activities such as concert attendance, public performances and workshops are also regularly organised. In addition, there are MEP activities specially organised by MOE such as the MEP Camp and the MEP Concert, at which MEP students from the various schools get together to participate in musically-enriching activities. In offering such a comprehensive music programme, the MEP@CHS supports MOE’s aims to nurture graduands who would be Scholars and Practitioners in the Arts and Advocates and Leaders for the Arts.
Entry Requirements for the MEP
Upon gaining entry to our school, students will be invited to apply for the MEP during Sec 1 registration.
To apply for MEP, applicants must
1. Be passionate and very interested in learning about music,
2. Play a musical instrument competently
They will require a pass in the Selection Exercise by the school, consisting of:
- An e-listening test on Western and Non-Western music traditions
- A performance audition of 2 contrasting solo pieces on an instrument or voice, with a total duration of 5 to 10 minutes
The Selection Exercise for 2023 Level 1 CHS MEP::
Friday, 23 December 2022, 10pm: Submission deadline for MEP applications
Tuesday, 27 December 2022, 2.30pm: CHS Digital Music Studio: e-listening test videos
Tuesday, 27 December 2022, 2pm: MEP briefing for all applicants and 1 parent / guardian
EMP and MEP Online Showcase webpage